Friday, October 17, 2008

My dear politicians

My hockey writer colleague Jugjet Singh's comment in the New Straits Times today just had me saying: "Enough." Access the interesting comment HERE.
Jugjet raised a somewhat similar flow in the turbulent UMNO political scene to that in Malaysian hockey. My own thoughts were about how so much time is spent, not just in hockey but most sports, in fine-tuning the "Cabinet" line-up.
It seems to be all Malaysian sports is about. Players or athletes seem to be used merely as.... well, merely used is sufficient enough a word.
When did you ever find, apart from a handful, local athlete who dare speak their minds? And in speaking their minds, offering constructive criticism better than those of us who look at it from the outside?
But no, athletes in Malaysia are given the iron fist treatment. Speak out and they face early retirement. Which always is an irritation for us sportswriters. We want to know exactly what an athlete thinks, and in doing so we directly allow you, the public to know as well. But sometimes it is the athletes who are the first to notify us of their fear that anything not in line with what the association, the NSC or any controlling body wants.
Which brings me back to Jugjet's comment. And my worst fears for hockey, the sport in which I so passionately contested with full support of my father in school, have been confounded. All they, the new and old "Cabinets" are thinking about is themselves.
The players aren't allowed and, history would show, should not have their say. No way of anyone finding out how it is for players, what their views are on the top brass of MHF, the ones that should be going and the ones that are coming in. The athletes, the most important components in the set-up of organised sport, do not have a say in what their governing bodies should be like, what changes should be brought about.
It is the same in cycling, football, athletics, swimming, you name it. Politicians rule all, not just in UMNO, but in sport as well. My guess is, every Malaysian is a born politician. Those who don't make the cut at national politics level, move into sport and turn it into Division Two of Malaysian politics. More often than not, there isn't a "promotion" into Division One, neither is there a "relegation" to Division Three.

II

We have politicians in abundance. Even on the sidelines of Malaysian sport and politics. Even us, the by-standers are not spared.
As in my case, where somebody with some interest somewhere in the immenent political changes and those that might happen in the New Straits Times, has started a rumour that our friend Rizal Hashim will be brought into the New Straits Times. Apparently in a high-ranking post on our sportsdesk, should a respected former Group Editor make a return.
It is alright for anyone to make their own assumptions, but don't drag others into this. I did not start this rumour, as I've learned from Rizal. People, please. I am just a rank-and-file journalist with the paper. The only politicians I know are those who hold positions in sports bodies and I do not wish to turn myself into an ambitious, screw-all person that has no regard for other people and their livelihoods.

III
Also, I find it funny that many who read this blog seem to be more interested in the changes in NST. I must admit, my writing needs improvement and my postings aren't too interesting to the masses. But somehow, more comments have come in asking about the changes in NST, than on the topics of my postings. I have chosen not to publish all of them. If anybody needs to know, well some of those people involved have their own blogs, ask them yourselves. If you need to know about anybody who you think is leaving NST, please contact our general line 03-2282 3322 and ask the operator to connect you to the person and ask them yourself. I will not answer any questions on here, on my phone or in person about anything to do with political changes in NST. I remind you again, I am just rank-and-file staff, and you would be stupid to ask me!

UPDATE!

I just received a call from Rizal, telling me that even if it is true, he is not interested.

No comments: