Thursday, July 3, 2008

Before Beijing...

The boss, who's lucky enough to be going to Beijing next month, has started barking orders for the build-up to the Olympics.
We're slow as usual. Or I'm slow at getting to it, mainly because there so much shit going on at the same time. Try as I did, I never found that tape measure that would make me a six footer, but some Terengganu JKR guys have irked me by saying the tape measure used by my colleague Sean Augustin, that showed the Terengganu Aquatics Centre pool in Kuala Terengganu to be 49.6 metres, was wrong. Apparently, their tape measure gave a reading of exactly 50m. Follow the story on the New Straits Times if you like, 'cos we're getting to the bottom of this. I'm not gonna tell you here, because I have to do my job first.
But back to Beijing, where hopefully the swimming pool is up to FINA specs which means it has to be 50.02 metres, so as to allow for touchpads during competition, and with a RM1 million bounty up for grabs for the one or two who deliver that elusive Olympic gold, I think we could yet be disappointed again.
Wouldn't say the badminton guys are gonna deliver, because this is the Olympics, the place where they're bound to falter after sending a round of orgasms throughout the country in the build-up.
Next best bets are the cyclists. Using my heart, I'd say Josiah Ng and Azizul Hasni Awang are as good as any rider on earth to deliver a medal in the keirin. But the keirin is such a harsh game. One second you think you're in for a medal, the next you're fighting not to finish last. But Azizul's beaten all the current top brass of world keirin, bar world champion Chris Hoy, in the string of competitions leading up to Beijing thus far. .
But before we enjoy our own success in Beijing, there's a simple matter of the Tour de France without Alberto Contador. For most of the pro peloton, that race means a little bit more than the Olympic gold.
That race starts this week. A low key start, but you'll get more than you bargain for here
K... let's just enjoy this month... and next month.. 'cos if you look at it, its a wholesome three months from May to August... i.e. Giro, Champions League final, Euro, Tour de France, Olympics... sports fans couldn't ask for more....